Aquatinter: Baily, James (fl. 1810-37)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Coloured aquatint by J. Baily (fl. 1810-37) after an original drawing by William Westall (1781-1850) of the Fort at Bombay in Maharashtra published by Joyce Gold in London in 1809. Built on seven islands, Bombay was ceded to the Portuguese in the 16th century. In 1661 it was part of the dowry brought to Charles II of England when he married the Portuguese princess Catherine of Braganza. In the late 17th century, the Portuguese settlement on Bombay Island was developed as a trading port with Bombay Castle at the epicentre. Although the fortifications were enhanced in order to protect Bombay in the disputes between France and England in the 1760s, such defence was obsolete by the mid 19th century. The British, under the governorship of Sir Henry Bartle Frere, tore down the fort walls and redeveloped the area.