Esplanade Row Calcutta towards Chandpal Ghat, through the west gate of Government House
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
Coloured lithograph of Esplanade Row looking towards Chandpal Ghat through the west gate of Government House in Calcutta by an unknown printmaker dated c.1830. The image is inscribed: 'J.E. Hay William' and is after an anonymous drawing. The west gate of the Government House is one of four large ceremonial gateways that marked each end of the carriageways on the north and south facades. Their design, by Captain Charles Wyatt, was partly based on Adam's archways at Syon House in Middlesex. The gateway is topped by a lion in the centre and a sphinx on either side. The new Government House was completed in 1802 and situated on Esplanade Row. Esplanade Row runs east-west to the north of the Maidan and was renowned for its elegant public buildings. The Chandpaul Ghat, seen here in the distance, was the main landing stage for visitors arriving by ship at Calcutta.