Ceylan, entre Colombo et Kandy, Mai 1841. [A young family outside a hut.]
Lithographer: Rudder, L.H. de (1807-1881)
Lithograph of a view in Sri Lanka, between Colombo and Kandy, by L.H. de Rudder (1807-1881) after an original drawing by Aleksandr Mikhailovich Saltuikov of May 1841, published in 1848.
This image shows a young family standing outside a hut in one of the many villages on the route between Colombo, the modern capital, and Kandy, located in the hills. Sri Lanka was a Portuguese colony from the late 16th Century until it was overruled by the Dutch; a colony which lasted until the arrival of the British in the late 18th century. The hill country capital of Kandy was the last kingdom to succumb to foreign rule, to the British in 1815. T.H.Holdich wrote in the Imperial Gazetteer of India: "No measured language can express the beauties of Ceylon scenery. From Colombo to Kandy, where a lake set in the hills reflects the visions of palms and temples, and the many-coloured array of...buildings below the long slopes of the shadowing mountains: and from Kandy to Nuwara Elia...there are endless vistas of transcendent beauty."