Procession réligieuse dans les galeries du couvent de Ramisseram près de Ceylan. Juin 1841.
Lithographer: Rudder, L.H. de (1807-1881)
Lithograph of a religious procession inside the Ramalingeshwara Temple at Rameshwaram in Tamil Nadu near Sri Lanka by L.H. de Rudder (1807-1881) after the original drawing of June 1841 by Prince Aleksandr Mikhailovich Saltuikov and published in Paris in 1848. This view shows a priest offering garlands to Prince Saltuikov.
The Ramalingeshwara Temple is situated on the sacred Hindu island of Rameswaram that is connected to the mainland by a causeway. The site is believed to be related to the story of Rama of the Ramayana epic. It was founded during the Chola period but belongs mostly to the Nayaka period of the 17th and 18th centuries. The complex is contained within high walls entered through tall towered gopuras on three sides. These gateways lead to an exceptionally long colonnade that contains over 4000 carved granite pillars and surrounds the intermediate enclosure.