Habitation européene à Simla. (Mai 1842.)
Lithographer: Rudder, L.H. de (1807-1881)
Lithograph by L.H. de Rudder (1807-1881) after an original drawing of May 1842 by Aleksandr Mikhailovich Saltuikov of a European house at Shimla in Himachal Pradesh published in Paris in 1848.
The hill-station of Shimla, now the capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh, became a popular resort with British residents of India in the 1820s. It also became the Presidency's summer capital when the Governor-General began to take his administration with him to the hills to escape the intense heat of Calcutta. Shimla was known as the 'English Convalescent Station' as its climate was conducive to good general health and the Military Sanatoria of Kasauli, Sanawar and Sabathu were also nearby. The Mall, seven miles in length was a popular meeting place in the summer season for walkers and riders and is still a popular location.