Key plate to 'An elevated view of the Islands of Bombay and Salsette' by J. S. Barth, published by R Cribb, London, 1803 (see P394 or P1449).
Artist: Barth, J.S. (fl. 1797-1809)
Engraved key plate to the print 'An elevated view of the Islands of Bombay and Salsette' by J. S. Barth and published by R Cribb in London in 1803. This engraved key plate accompanies an aquatint also in the collection. Bombay was originally composed of seven islands. However, since the 18th century, land reclamation projects joining the islands together have dramatically altered the topography of Bombay. This map shows a bird's eye view of the Islands of Bombay and Salsette from the early nineteenth century. In 1661, Bombay came under English control as part of the dowry brought to Charles II by the Portuguese princess Catherine of Braganza. The Island of Bombay is situated in the centre of this view with Salsette Island immediately to the left. The fort was located on Bombay Island in the 1720s. The small and isolated rocky island is Elephanta, the site of the well-known sixth century rock-cut cave temple dedicated to Shiva.