Artist: Needham, Jonathan (fl.1850-1874) after O'Brien, Charles D.C.
Lithograph by Jonathan Needham (fl.1850-1874) after Charles D.C. O'Brien of the 'Thuparamaya Dagoba' at Polonnaruwa in Sri Lanka, dated 1st January 1864. This print forms plate 3 of 'A series of fifteen Views of Ceylon illustrative of Sir J.E. Tennent's work, from sketches made on the spot by Capt C. O'Brien, late Assistant Surveyor General, Ceylon' London, 1864. Polonnaruwa consists of a number of ruined complexes including the Quadrangle, the Dalada Maligawa, or Tooth Relic Temple and the Gal Vihara, or rock shrine with its four large statues of Buddha. The Thuparama lies north of the Dalada Maligawa and is a large brick building with a frieze of lions surrounding the base. The principal entrance is on the east with another smaller one to the north. There is a high false arch entrance leading into the inner vaulted chamber which is surrounded by an outer quadrangle.