Group of palms at the entrance of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Pardinia
Lithographer: Needham, Jonathan (fl.1850-1874)
Lithograph by Jonathan Needham (fl.1850-1874), after Charles D.C. O'Brien, of a group of palms in the Royal Botanic Gardens at Peradeniya, near Kandy, in Sri Lanka, dated 1st January 1864. This print forms plate 9 of 'A series of fifteen Views of Ceylon illustrative of Sir J.E. Tennent's work, from sketches made on the spot by Capt C. O'Brien, late Assistant Surveyor Ceylon', London 1864. There are three palm walks in the gardens: the Royal Palm avenue, the Cabbage Palm avenue and the Palmyra Avenue and there are over one hundred species of palm in the garden's collection. Established by the British in the early 19th Century the Royal Botanical Gardens were originally the Pleasure Gardens of the Kandyan Kings. Bounded on one side by the Mahaweli River the gardens also have a large collection of Bamboos, an Orchid House, containing three hundred species and a collection of medicinal plants. The garden also keeps endangered Coco de Mer trees and gives a home to hundreds of flying foxes.