Military Orphan School opposite to Calcutta for the Children of private soldiers
Artist: Baillie, William (1752/3-1799)
Medium: Aquatint with etching
Handcoloured etching with aquatint of the Military Orphan School for the children of private soldiers at Howrah by William Baillie (1752/3-1799) plate five of his 'Twelve views of Calcutta' published in 1794. Howrah is situated on the eastern bank of Hooghly River facing Calcutta. This house, built by a Mr Levett, was originally built as a distillery. In 1782 Captain William Kirkpatrick took over the house as an orphanage for the children of British soldiers of all ranks and 500 children were housed here. In 1790 the children of officers were sent to a mansion in Kidderpore near Tolly's Nullah south of the Maidan, which was supported by brother officers through monthly contributions. The building pictured here became the Lower Military Orphanage and was maintained by the East India Company for the orphans of regular soldiers.