Temple at Benares. 'Column in the Visvisshoor'. Engraving by T. Medland after John Garstin. Published by Medland, London, 1801.
Engraver: Medland, Thomas (1755-1833)
Engraving by T. Medland after John Garstin, published by Medland in London in 1801, of a column from the Vishvanatha Temple at Varanasi.
The old Vishvanatha Temple, the principal Hindu at Varanasi, was dismantled by order of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb at the end of the 17th century to provide material for the construction of a mosque nearby. The temple, as it stands today, dates from 1777. The sanctuary has a a tall clustered spire and the columns. Other shrines stand in the courtyard. The columns and beams are decorated with elaborate ornaments. The column in the engraving has a square base, a shaft with octagonal, sixteen-sides and round sections showing typical decorations such as the bell and chain motif and a corbel type capital