'View of the Interior of St Andrew's Church, Madras'. Coloured lithograph by J.B. Maxwell after John Gantz, Madras. Undated.
Artist: Maxwell, J.R. (fl.1820s), after Gantz, John (1772-1853)
Coloured lithograph by J.B. Maxwell after John Gantz of the interior of St. Andrew's Church at Madras.
The splendid Neo-Classical St. Andrew's Church is situated north-east of Egmore Station. It was erected in 1818-1821 by Thomas de Havilland to a design by Lieutenant Grant. It is entered through a Ionic portico surmounted by a tower with tapering octagonal spire. The outer walls of the circular nave have Ionic columns repeating the ones of the portico. This lithograph shows the interior circular hall with sixteen fluted columns with fine Corinthian capitals that suport a dome painted with golden stars on a blue background.