'A view of the Gate of the Tomb of the Emperor Akbar, at Secundra'. Etching by Browne after a painting by William Hodges. Undated.
Etcher: Browne, John (1741-1801)
Etching by Browne after a painting by William Hodges of the gate of the tomb of the emperor Akbar at Sikandra.
The village of Sikandra takes its name after Sikander Lodi (1489-1517), one of the last kings of the Delhi Sultanante. The mausoleum of the Mughal emperor Akbar, defined by Hodges as ‘…one of the greatest monuments of Moorish grandeur’, stands at the centre of a big garden enclosed by high battlemented walls with four gateways of red sandstone. The main entrance to the south is inlaid with white marble decorated with a scroll of Quranic writing. At each corner of the gateway there are four marble minarets and in the centre there is a pointed arch flanked by smaller arches. An avenue of tall trees leads to the tomb which stands on a low marble platform.