A View of Calcutta from Fort William 2343
Aquatinter: Dubourg, Matthew (fl.1786-1824)
Aquatint of a view of Calcutta from Fort William by Matthew Dubourg published by Edward Orme in London in 1807 and after a watercolour by William Orme and an original watercolour by Samuel Davis. Calcutta was founded on the River Hooghly, a tributary of the Ganges, by Job Charnock in 1690. This view shows the shipping on the River Hooghly to the left, the new Fort William in the foreground, the Maidan in the middle ground and Eplanade Row in the distance. The new Fort William was constructed as a result of the damaging attack on the original fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. It was situated to the south of the city in Gobindpore and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. The area surrounding the fort, known as the Maidan, was cleared to provide an unrestricted line of fire. Esplanade Row runs east-west to the north of the Maidan. On the western end of Esplanade Row we can see the new Government House built between 1799 and 1802 for Marquis Wellesley.