View of the Hospital at Berhampore
Artist and engraver: Moffat, James (1775-1815)
Aquatint by James Moffat (1775-1815) published in Calcutta in 1805 after his drawing of the Hospital at Baharampur. Baharampur is situated several miles from Murshidabad in West Bengal. In 1757, the victory of the English East India Company over the Nawab of Bengal at the Battle of Plassey resulted in the rise of English supremacy in Bengal. The military barracks of Baharampur, first established in around 1767, was one of the earliest English cantonments in India. The plan of the cantonment was made up of a grid with a large open square in the centre. By the early 19th century, Baharampur had developed into a large brigade station. The troops were withdrawn by Lord Kitchener in 1906. In this view of the hospital we can see that the building was was situated close to the river Hooghly.