'The Church and River at Mahim, Bombay'. One of a series of Views in India and in the vicinity of Bombay. Lithographed by G.E. Madeley after Major Pouget. Published in London, c.1850
Lithographer: Madeley, George Edward (fl.1829-1856)
Lithographed by George Edward Madeley (fl.1829-1856) after an original drawing by Major Robert Pouget of 'The Church and River at Mahim, Bombay' one of a series of 'Views in India and in the vicinity of Bombay' published in London c.1850. The area of Bombay was orignally made up of seven islands including Mahim, situated to the north. Mahim became a centre of power in the 13th century, when Raja Bhimdev located his capital Mahikawati and the Prabhadevi temple on the island. In the following century, the Muslim kingdom of Gujarat was also established at Mahim, where they built a fort and a number of mosques. In the 16th century, the area of Bombay was ceded to the Portuguese, who established their capital at Bassein further north. In 1661, the area passed to the English as part of the dowry brought to Charles II by the Portuguese princess Catherine of Braganza. Although the British continued to use the fort, their main headquarters were situated on Bombay Island. In 1845, Mahim was connected to the mainland by a causeway that was financed by Lady Jamsetji Jeejeebhoy.