'Mazagon, seen from Boreebunder'. One of a series of Views in India and in the vicinity of Bombay
Lithographer: Spreat, William (fl. mid-19th century)
Lithograph of Mazagon in Bombay by William Spreat after an original drawing by Major Robert Pouget. This image is one of a series of 'Views in India and in the vicinity of Bombay' published in London c.1850.
The area of Bombay was orignally made up of seven islands, including Mazagon. From the mid-16th century, the Portuguese had a manor house located here that was closely associated with the De Souza family. After the area of Bombay was ceded to English control as part of the dowry brought to Charles II by the Portuguese princess Catherine of Braganza in 1661, Mazagon became an affluent residential district.