'The Rosa - a Mausoleum near Kaira, Guzurat'. One of a series of Views in India and in the vicinity of Bombay
Lithographer: Spreat, William (fl. mid-19th century)
Lithograph of 'The Rosa' a Mausoleum near Kaira in Gujarat by William Spreat (fl. mid-19th century) after an original drawing by Major Robert Pouget. This image is one of a series of 'Views in India and in the vicinity of Bombay' published in London c.1850.
Kaira is situated about 30km south-west Ahmadabad. The town was ruled by the Babi family of Gujarat in the early 18th century, taken by the Marathas in 1736 and passed onto the British 1803. This mausoleum consists of an open hypostyle hall with pointed arches which is topped by a large dome and small open pavillions at the corners, known as chhatris.