'A View of the Gate Way into the Court of the Palace at Tanjour'. Drawn and engraved by B. Henry 1776. .Published by A Dalrymple, 1778.
Artist: Henry, B. (fl.1770s)
Engraving by B.Henry of the gateway leading to the courtyard in the Palace of Thanjore, published by A. Dalrymple in 1778.
Thanjavur was established as the capital of the Chola rulers in the 9th-12th centuries; it later became a Nayaka stronghold in the 16th-17th centuries and was also used by the Marathas in the 18th century. The Palace at Thanjavur was built by the Nayakas in the early 17th century and was later enlarged by the Marathas. As a result, it employs a mix of Nayaka and Maratha architectural styles where the main structures are arranged around a series of courtyards with cylindrical columns and square capitals. A huge pyramidal tower located at the south end rises above the main residential block of the palace. The shape of the pyramidal tower is an anomaly in Nayaka palace architecture, but the elaborate stucco-work resembles the decorative technique used at Madurai. To the east is the Durbar Hall of the Nayaka kings. The south-eastern quadrant of the Thanjavur royal complex is known as the Maratha residence, and is surrounded on three sides by arcades.