Lithographer: Brooks, Vincent (1814-85)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
Lithograph of Prinseps Ghat in Calcutta by Vincent Robert Alfred Brooks (1814-85) one of 'Eight views of Calcutta' published in London c.1870. This ghat, or landing stage, is situated on the left bank of the Hooghly river south of Fort William. The Ghat was renamed after James Prinsep on the event of his death (1799-1840). Prinsep was a scholar and scientist who decoded early Indian scripts and translated texts which enabled further studies of ancient Indian History. He was also the secretary of the Asiatic Society and the Assay Master at both the Mints at Benares and Calcutta. Prinsep's Ghat, together with Chandpaul Ghat, became one of the main landing stages for the arrival of important visitors to Calcutta.