View of Fort William 2900
Lithographer: Brooks, Vincent (1814-85)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
Lithograph of Fort William in Calcutta by Vincent Robert Alfred Brooks (1814-85) from one of 'Eight views of Calcutta' published in London c.1870. The foreground of this view shows one of the four ceremonial gateways of the new Government House. This official residence was built by Captain Charles Wyatt for Marquis Wellesley at the turn of the eighteenth century. The ceremonial gateways marked the each end of the carriageways on the north and south façades and are partly based on Robert Adam's archways at Syon House in Middlesex. The new Fort William can be seen in the background. It was constructed as a result of the damaging attack on the original fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. The new fort was situated to the south of the new Government House and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. In addition to this, the area surrounding the fort known as the Maidan was cleared to provide an unrestricted line of fire.