'Chandernagore'. Drawn and engraved by James Moffat, published Calcutta, 1800
Artist and engraver: Moffat, James (1775-1815)
Medium: Aquatint with etching
Aquatint with etching of Chandernagore drawn and engraved by James Moffat (1775-1815) and published in Calcutta in 1800. A number of competing European enclaves including those of the Portuguese, Dutch, English, French and Danish were founded on the banks of the river Hooghly, a tributary of the Ganges, in West Bengal between the early 16th and the mid-18th centuries. Chandernagore, situated 20 miles from Calcutta, was established by the French in 1673. The town was considerable trading centre, especially for opuim, during the early 18th century. However, in 1758 Chandernagore was destroyed by the British. Until the early 20th century, Chandernagore exchanged hands between the English and French several times. This aquatint shows a view of the town from the opposite bank of the river when the town was controlled by the British.