View on the banks of the Hooghly near Calcutta. The Country Residence of William Farquharson Esqr.
Artist and engraver: Moffat, James (1775-1815), after Solvyns, Frans Balthazar (1
Aquatint of the country residence of William Farquharson on the banks of the Hooghly near Calcutta by James Moffat (1775-1815) after Frans Balthazar Solvyns and published in Calcutta in 1800. Garden Reach was a suburb of Calcutta, where many Europeans built large 'Garden Houses' with grounds sweeping down to the river's edge. The row of palladian mansions lining the river approach to the city provided an impressive view and made this one of the most fashionable areas of Calcutta. The wide distances between the houses were so designed in the belief that it would reduce the spread of disease by aiding air flow. Colonel Robert Kyd, the founder of the Botanical Gardens, built his house 'Shalimar' there and Colonel Henry Watson began a dockyard in the area in 1780.