Plan of the Dutch factory at Hooghly-Chinsura in 1721. Engraving
Engraving of the plan of the Dutch factory at Hooghly-Chinsura by an unknown artist and engraver c.1721. Hooghly and Chinsura are situated within one mile of each other. While Hooghly was established by the Portuguese in the 16th century, Chinsura was established by the Dutch in the 17th century. The factory at Chinsura was the headquarters for all the Dutch agencies and factories in Bihar, Bengal, Orissa and Bangladesh. The complex included residential buildings, office quarters, warehouses and landscaped gardens. Chinsura was ceded to the British in exhange for the English-held Island of Sumatra in Indonesia and cash sum of £100,000 in 1824.