West view of Calcutta
Artist and engraver: Moffat, James (1775-1815)
Aquatint of the west view of Calcutta drawn and engraved by James Moffat (1775-1815) and published in Calcutta in 1805. Chandpaul Ghat, the main landing stage for important visitors to the city, can be seen on the extreme right of this view. The building next to it on the corner became the Bank of Calcutta in 1806 and three years later the Bank of Bengal. The single storey building on the river belonged to Colvin & Company, the shippers, who gave their name to Colvin's Ghat at this location.