South view of the New Government House,Calcutta
Artist and engraver: Moffat, James (1775-1815)
Aquatint of the south view of the New Government House at Calcutta by James Moffat (1775-1815) published in Calcutta in 1803. When Marquis Wellesley became Governor-General of Calcutta in 1798, he decided that the existing Government House was not a suitable for his position and needs. The architect of the new Government House, Captain Charles Wyatt of the Bengal Engineers, based his designs on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. This view shows the southern façade. There is a circular colonnade with a dome in the centre and two projecting wings either side. The architectural style of the building is Neo-Classical.