'West view of Monghir'. The river front, with buildings of the old palace surmounting the semi-circular bastions. Aquatint, drawn and engraved by James Moffat, published Calcutta 1804.
Artist: Moffat, James (1775-1815)
Medium: Aquatint with etching
Aquatint with etching of the west view of Monghyr by James Moffat (1775-1815) and published in Calcutta in 1804. Monghyr is situated on the south bank of the Ganges in Bihar. From the rule of Akbar in the late 16th century, Monghyr was controlled by the Mughal Emperors. However, Monghyr was also occupied by Mir Qasim, the Nawab of Bengal, during his conflict with the English in the second half of the 18th century. This view of Monghyr shows the buildings and defences on the river front. The buildings in this view are thought to be the old palace. On the landward side, the fort was protected by a deep ditch.