Part of the Old Tank
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Etching, with line-engraving
Coloured etching with aquatint of part of the Old Tank in Calcutta by Thomas Daniell (1749-1840) no. 3 from his 'Views of Calcutta' published in 1786. This view shows the east side of Tank Square. Tank Square, later Dalhousie Square and now BBD Bagh, lies at the centre of the area once covered by the original Fort William. A large tank in the centre of the square was constructed in 1712 in order to provide water storage for the city. The headquarters of the East India Company known as the Writer's Building is located on the north side of the square. The church in the centre of this view is most likely the Swedish Mission Church built in 1770.