Old Government House
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Coloured etching with aquatint of the old Government House in Calcutta by Thomas Daniell (1749-1840) from his 'Views of Calcutta' published in 1788. The old Government House was built in 1767. It was situated in Esplanade Row next to the new Council House. Although the old Government House did not become the official residence of the Governor-General until 1773, it was used by the Government before this date. This building was replaced by the new Government House at the turn of the nineteenth century. It was commissioned by Marquis Wellesley on his appointment as Governor-General of Calcutta and located on the same site.