S.W. view of Jambakistna and Srirangam. Captain Trapaud, a friend and his dog are sitting on the river bank
Artist: Trapaud, Elisha (1750-1828)
Water-colour by Elisha Trapaud dated 1785 depicting a distant view of the temples of Jambukrishna and Srirangam. Captain Trapaud, a friend and his dog are sitting on the river bank. Inscribed on back in ink: 'S.W. View of Jumbakistna & Seringham-and of the Colevoor & Covery rivers'; on front in pencil: 'A. Capt Trapaud. B. Mackson. C. his Dog Bouncer'; in ink: 'E. Trapaud. 1785.'
The holy island of Srirangam is situated in the Cauvery river, an important water course which is as sacred as the Ganga river to Hindus. There are two large temple complexes on the island, the larger Ranganatha complex, which is Vaishnava, and the smaller Jambukeshvara temple which is dedicated to Shiva. The Ranganatha Temple was started in the Chola period but most of construction was carried out between the 13th and the 17th centuries under the patronage of Pandya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers. Most parts of the Jambukeshvara Temple date to the 17th century Nayaka period. This water colour depicts the tall gopuras, pyramidal brick and plaster towers covered with bright coloured sculptures which lead inside the temples enclosures.