The town and pass of Bundi (Rajputana)
Watercolour painting of the town and pass of Bundi in Rajasthan, by an anonymous artist working in the British school, c. 1840. Inscribed on the back in ink is: 'The town and Pass of Bondi in Rajpootana. No. 72.'
Bundi was founded in 1341 by Rao Deva and is situated in a narrow valley within the Aravalli Hills in Rajasthan. The ruling family of the state, the Hara Chauhan clan of Rajputs, built a series of impressive palaces, gardens and tanks, which appear to have been carved out of the hillside in several tiers. The town is full of attractive garden pavilions, step well tanks, temples and memorial pavilions. One of the palace complexes of the town can be seen on the hill in the background of this view.