Governor's House on a bank of the river, Malda (Bengal)
Wash drawing of the Governor's House on a bank of the river, Malda (Bengal) by an unknown artist, c.1790. Inscribed on the back in pencil is: 'Governor's House, Malda.'
Malda town, situated near the confluence of Mahananda and Kalindri rivers, is a natural port and was once a prosperous trading centre. The late 16th century Islamic-period fort located within the town was originally a warehouse and then a fortified sarai or travellers' resthouse. The Malda district has been subjected to many different cultural inflences; Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic (Afghan, Pathan, Mughal) and the British have all left their imprint here. Much of its former glory embodied by Gaur and Pandua, the two capital cities of early Bengal, is now in ruins.