Perspective view of Trinity Church, Karachi (Sind)
Artist: Le Mesurier, John (1834-1903)
Water-colour painting of Trinity Church, Karachi (Pakistan) by John Le Mesurier (1834-1903) in 1856. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'Perspective View of Trinity Church, Kurrachee. Drawn by John Le Mesurier. Lieut. Bombay Enginrs. Sept 1856. H. Blois Turner, Lieut. Colonel. Superintending Engineer, Scinde.'
Trinity churches were built by the Trinity Board along the coast of England from the mouth of the Thames to Portsmouth as well as in British India. The churches served as lighthouses by having beacons installed on their towers in return for which they were provided with funds. Trinity Church, constructed between 1852 and 1855, was the first major church in Karachi. It was designed by Captain John Hill of the Bombay Engineers. The tower was 150 feet tall and so made a suitable lighthouse and landmark for vessels approaching the coast.