View of Lucknow taken from the opposite bank of the River Gumti (U.P.). 14-16 August 1789
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil and water-colour drawing by Thomas and William Daniell of a view of Lucknow taken from the opposite bank of the River Gumti, dated 14-16 August 1789. Inscribed on front of mount in pencil (not original inscriptions): '81a. 5706. Lucknow.'
Lucknow in the mid-18th century had become the flourishing capital of the Nawabs of Avadh. Nawabs Safdar Jang and Shuja' al-Daula had contributed to building the palace which was completed by the time the latter moved the capital temporarily to Faizabad in 1765. The palace presents an unadorned, almost fortress-like, frontage to the river Gumti, with a monumental but plain gateway to its right. Inside the palace, however, were airy pavilions and extensive gardens. The son of the Nawab, Asaf al-Daula, returned to Lucknow in 1775 and built himself a new palace as well as many other grandiose buildings.