View of a bastion of the fort at Allahabad, and Akbar's Jami Masjid beyond. 8 November 1789.
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840), and Daniell, William (1769-1837
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil and wash drawing of a bastion of the fort at Allahabad with Akbar's 'jami masjid' or congregational mosque beyond, by Thomas (1749-1840) and William (1769-1837) Daniell, 8 November 1789. Inscribed on the front in pencil is: '47'; on the back in ink: '26'; in pencil but in a modern hand is: '? Near Jaunpore.'
The fort at Allahabad was built on the confluence of the Ganges and Jumna rivers by Akbar, the third Emperor of the Mughal dynasty from 1583 onwards. This position was of strategic importance and was one of the focal points of the Uprising of 1857. The fort was one of the largest of Akbar’s forts and contains the Zenana Palace, a 'baradari' or pavilion, and an Ashokan pillar originally erected by the Mauryan ruler in the third century BC.