A Hindu temple, Gaya (Bihar). March 1790
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil and wash drawing by Thomas and William Daniell of a Hindu temple at Gaya in Bihar, dated March 1790. Inscribed on back in ink: 'Nr 81. Hindoo Temple at Ghyah'; in pencil: 'No 126. Pirpether Maha Isser built by Maun Sing Maha Deo's Baup (father).'
The town of Gaya is situated on the bank of the Phalgu river with the Rajgir Hills beyond. It is closely associated with Buddhism for its close vicinity to Bodhgaya but since the 10th century it has also been an important Hindu religious centre. The extant buildings date not early than the 18th century but there are also some remains of sculptures from the 9th-10th Pala period. This drawing depicts a temple in the town with a curvilinear spire and pillared portico.