View of Vellore. 16 April 1792 206
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840), and Daniell, William (1769-1837
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing by Thomas Daniell of Vellore, dated 16 April 1792. Inscribed on back in pencil: 'Vellore. Apl 1792. No. 5'; in ink: '154. Vellore.'
Vellore is situated 129 kilometres west of Madras. The town is famous for the sixteenth-century fort, built during the Vijayanagara period of rule, a very fine example of military architecture. Vellore was seized by the sultan of Bijapur in the seventeenth century. In 1676 it was taken by the Marathas and in 1708 by Daud Khan of Delhi. The fort was occupied by a British garrison in 1760. After the fall of Seringapatam in 1799, and the death of Tipu Sultan, Tipu's family were detained in the fort at Vellore. The main ramparts have round towers and massive walls built of granite stones, surrounded by a moat.