Temple near Bangalore with Nandidrug in the distance (Mysore). 1 May 1792
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil and wash drawing of the temple near Bangalore with Nandidrug in the distance, dated 1 May 1792. Inscribed on back in ink is: '13. Near Bangalore'; in pencil: 'Near Bangalore. Nundyroog in the distance. No. 18.' Showing the Vijayanagara shikara of a cave temple, with the Harihara temple in the distance as well as the pavilion and stone umbrella of OS. V, 17.
The group of structures in this print are close to the Gangadhareshvara temple, located to the south of Bangalore. The Daniells wrote, 'The neighbourhood of Bangalore is remarkable for the frequent appearance of the remains of ancient Hindoo architecture. Nearly in the centre of this view is a temple, but at present without an idol. On the left is the Chackra or Discus of Vish-noo placed horizontally, supported by a pillar, both executed in stone: and on the right is a pavilion very neatly executed, which probably was the place for exhibiting to the multitude the idol belonging to the adjoining temple. Further on to the right is a stone pillar, on the top of which on particular occasions was placed the sacred fire.'