Temple near Bangalore (Mysore), with Savandrug in the distance. 1 May 1792
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Watercolour with pencil, pen and ink
Pencil, wash, and water-colour drawing of a temple near Bangalore, with Savandrug in the distance by Thomas (1749-1840) and William (1769-1837) Daniell, 1 May 1792. Inscribed on the back in ink is: 'Nr 34. Near Bangalore - Sauvern Droog in the Distance'; and in pencil: 'Near Bangalore. Severn Droog in the distance.'
The Vijayanagara shikara or tower of a temple is seen in the foreground and in the distance is the hill-fort of Savandurga. The hill is composed of two granite cliffs, approximately 4000 feet tall, and 13 kilometres (8 miles) in circumference. The darker cliff is called Karigudda or 'black hill' and the other the Billigudda or 'white hill'. The hill fort on the top of the outcrop was erected in 1543 by Samanta Raya. It then came to Immadi Kempe Gowda of Bangalore until 1728 when it was captured by the Raja of Mysore from whom it passed to Haider Ali. In 1791 Savandurga was taken by British forces under Cornwallis during the Mysore Wars.