View of Hudedurgum in the Baramahal Hills. 7 May 1792
Artist: Daniell, William (1769-1837)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of Hudedurgam, Tamil Nadu by Thomas (1749-1840) and William (1769-1837) Daniell, 7 May 1792. Inscribed on the front in pencil is: 'Ooria Durgum'; on the back in ink: '75. Ooria droog Baramahl.'
Hudedurgam was one of the hill forts which guarded the approach to Kelamangalam from the plains below the ghats. There are traces of several ancient buildings on the site, three large wells, the remains of a gateway and a wall. On the summit of the hill is a shrine to Hanuman. The fortress was garrisoned by Tipu Sultan (1753-1799) at the outset of the Third Mysore War but surrendered to a detachment of Lord Cornwallis’s advance guard in 1791. It was reoccupied by Tipu after the peace but again fell to the English troops under Lieutenant Colonel Oliver in 1799.