f.45' Lake at Jhansi. Feby 14th. 1841 (?)'
Artist: Boyd, George (1800-1850)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh) by George Boyd (1800-1850), dated 14th February 1841. This is one of 95 drawings (90 folios), chiefly of landscapes and monuments in the Deccan, West India and Afghanistan made between 1821 and 1844. Boyd served in the Bombay Infantry from 1820 to 1850 and was mainly employed in survey work. From 1822 to 1831 he was in the Deccan and Satara; in 1835 he was on survey in Kathiawar; and in 1839 he was making road surveys in Sind. He was mentioned in dispatches during the war in Afghanistan in 1840 and in 1842 he worked on a survey between Quetta and Kalat.
Jhansi, sometimes known as Balwantnagar, was founded by Bir Singh Deo Raja of Orchha who built a fort here on top of a rocky hill in 1613. A town soon developed which remained in possession of the Bundelas until 1742. At this point it was seized by the Marathas who built the great stronghold, Shanker Fort, an extension of the older structure. The rapid growth of Jhansi during this period was partly due to the forcible removable of people from other places. It was subsequently held by Shuja-ud-daula, Nawab of Oudh for a few months and later wrested from him by Anup Giri Gosain of Moth from whom it passed to the Raja of Orchha. In 1766 it was again brought under Maratha rule. The East India Company acquired certain rights over the area in 1805 and in 1853, with the death of Raja Gangadhar Rao, the territory lapsed to the British. The town is notable for its associations with Lakshmi Bai, Rani of Jhansi, a leading figure in the Indian Uprising of 1857.