View of Calcutta from the Maidan. 24 October 1868
Artist: Leighton, Stanley (1837-1901)
Watercolour of a view of Calcutta from the Maidan by Stanley Leighton (1837-1901) dated 24th October 1868. Inscribed on the mount in pencil: 'Calcutta from the Maidan. Fri. 24 Oct. 1868. Government House, Law Courts. Ochterlony monument.'
The Maidan is a large open space in the centre of Calcutta that was created during the building of the new Fort William in 1757. The north side of the Maidan, seen in this view, is bordered by Esplanade Row. This street contained the principal public buildings of the city. To the centre left, is the new Government House that was commissioned by Marquis Wellesley in 1798. The architect, Captain Charles Wyatt, based his designs for the building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. On the south side of the building, we can see a circular colonnade with a dome in the centre of the façade. To the centre right, is the tall column of the Ocherlony Monument. The monument was designed by C.K. Robinson and erected in 1828. Sir David Ochterlony (1758-1825) was a Major-General who was credited with ensuring British success in the Anglo-Nepalese War of 1814-1816. The monument has since been renamed the Shahid Minar and is now dedicated to Indian martyrs.