View of Latifpur, Mirzapur district (U.P.) . 30 December 1868
Artist: Leighton, Stanley (1837-1901)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of Latifpur in Uttar Pradesh by Stanley Leighton (1837-1901), 30 December 1868. Inscribed on the front in pencil is: 'Lutteefpoor. Sookroot Pass. Mirzapore district. 30 Dec. 1868. S.L.'
Latifpur is one of a number of old ruined forts in the area. It is strongly built of stone and is surrounded by jungle, occupying a position of great strength and importance at the foot of the Sukrit Pass on the road south. It is rectangular in shape and encloses a large area, two sides being protected by the precipitous banks of a deep stream and the other two by a solid stone rampart and ditch. The fort was built by Malik Farrukh (d.1752), zamindar of Ahraura as his principal stronghold and treasury. After the death of Malik Farrukh the fort was taken from his son, Malik Ahsan by Balwant Singh who stationed a large force here in order to make incessant raids on the neighbouring territory. The Raja made repairs and extensive buildings were erected for the accommodation of himself and his suite and for the custody of his money and valuables while the Raja continued to establish his dominance over the area. The British under Major Crabb took Latifpur from Chet Singh in 1781.