Chimry, Ladakh (Kashmir). January 1869
Artist: Leighton, Stanley (1837-1901)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil and wash drawing of Chimry, a village in Ladakh by Stanley Leighton (1837-1901) in January 1869. Inscribed on the front in pencil is: ‘Chimry, Ladakh (Kashmir). January 1869’ and: 'copied from a sketch by Dr H. Cayley. Jan. 1869. S.L.'
Leh is the capital of the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir. The town is situated at a height of 3,505 metres on a mountain side in a valley to the side of the Indus River. It originated as a trading post and market attracting merchants from far and wide then developed into the administrative, commercial and cultural centre of the district. The seventeenth-century palace dominates the town; it has nine storeys and was the home of the royal family of Ladakh until they were exiled to Stok in the 1830s.