Currah below Munikpore
Artist: Smith, Robert (1787-1873)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of Kurrah by Robert Smith (1787-1873) in February 1813. This is one of 18 drawings (20 folios) of landscapes and architecture in Uttar Pradesh taken in 1813. Inscribed on the original album cover is: 'No. 5. Ganges, Soane R. Cawnpore Jaunpoor.' Captain Robert Smith was a military engineer with the East India Company and was in India from 1805 to 1833. He designed a number of buildings in India and also repaired various Indian monuments including the Kutb Minar and the Jami Masjid at Delhi. In 1813 to 1814 he was surveying on the Mirzapur South frontier.
Kurrah is situated on the right bank of the Ganges about 40 miles north-west of Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh. There is an old ruined fort here and a large number of ruined houses and tombs attesting to the fact that the town was once quite substantial. A famous Muslim saint, Kamal Shek is laid to rest near here. Kurrah started to decline after the Mughal Emperor Akbar moved the civil establishment to Allahabad towards the end of the 16th century. Later Asaf ud Daulah, the Nawab of Oudh, destroyed the finest buildings of Kurrah in order to obtain materials which he used in buildings in Lucknow.