Bisrampour. Nov. 1813
Artist: Smith, Robert (1787-1873)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of Bisrampur by Robert Smith (1787-1873) dated November 1813. This is one of 27 drawings (28 folios) of views in Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) and Sasaram, Hazaribagh and Palamau (Bihar) taken in 1813. Inscribed on the original cover is: 'No. 1. Luknow. Hazaribagh. Palamow' 'etc.' Captain Robert Smith was a military engineer with the East India Company and was in India from 1805 to 1833. He designed a number of buildings in India and also repaired various Indian monuments including the Kutb Minar and the Jami Masjid at Delhi. In 1813 to 1814 he was surveying on the Mirzapur South frontier.
Bisrampur or Bhisrampur is the chief town of Surguja District, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh. There is a large coal seam here extending for about 400 square miles in the eastern portion of the comparatively low ground in the centre of Surguja District. The first published mention of the coal deposits in the district was by Colonel J. R. Ouseley in 1848. The first geologist from the Geological Survey of India to enter Surguja and map the coal field was Dr. Valentine Bal in 1870-71.