Currah. Sepr. 1814
Artist: Smith, Robert (1787-1873)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of Kurrah by Robert Smith (1787-1873) dated September 1814. This is one of 27 drawings (29 folios) of views made during a march from Benares (Varanasi) to Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh, probably en route for Almora in 1814. Inscribed on the original cover is: 'No. XIII. Ganges & Luknow'. Captain Robert Smith was a military engineer with the East India Company and was in India from 1805 to 1833. He designed a number of buildings in India and also repaired various Indian monuments including the Kutb Minar and the Jami Masjid at Delhi.
Kurrah is situated on the right bank of the Ganges about 40 miles north-west of Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh. There is an old ruined fort here and a large number of ruined houses and tombs attesting to the fact that the town was once quite substantial. A famous Muslim saint, Kamal Shek is laid to rest near here. Kurrah started to decline after the Mughal Emperor Akbar moved the civil establishment to Allahabad towards the end of the 16th century. Later Asaf ud Daulah, the Nawab of Oudh, destroyed the finest buildings of Kurrah in order to obtain materials which he used in buildings in Lucknow.