Part of Manikpore. Oct. 1814
Artist: Smith, Robert (1787-1873)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of part of Manikpoor by Robert Smith (1787-1873) dated October 1814. This is one of 27 drawings (29 folios) of views made during a march from Benares (Varanasi) to Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh, probably en route for Almora in 1814. Inscribed on the original cover is: 'No. XIII. Ganges & Luknow'. Captain Robert Smith was a military engineer with the East India Company and was in India from 1805 to 1833. He designed a number of buildings in India and also repaired various Indian monuments including the Kutb Minar and the Jami Masjid at Delhi.
Manikpoor is described in a gazetteer of 1857 as ‘a decayed town in the territory of Oude in the district of Ahladganj on the route from Allahabad to Lucknow. Situated on the left bank of the Ganges [which is here] a rapid stream in the low water season when it is about a third of a mile wide, muddy and discoloured.’
Edward Thornton, ‘A gazetteer of the territories under the government of the East India Company and of the Native States of the Continent of India’ London, 1857