Interior of Adina Mosque, Pandua (Bengal)
Artist: Francklin, William (1763-1839)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink and wash drawing of the interior of the Adina Mosque at Pandau in West Bengal by William Francklin (1763-1839) in 1810. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'View of part of the Western Wall in the interior of the Adeena Mosque at Purouah opposite to the Tukht, containing the Kiblah or Altar, with sentences from the Koran, inscribed on each side. Drawn A.D. 1810. W.F'.; inscribed on the back in ink is: 'Sketches of the Adeena Mosque at Perouah'; and in pencil: '1.'
The Adina Mosque was built c. 1370 by Sikander Shah, the second sultan of the Ilyas Shahi dynasty. It is an excellent example of sultanate period architecture and was at the time the largest mosque to be built on the subcontinent, a reflection of the power and wealth of the sultan. The mosque is decorated with magnificent intricate carvings, calligraphic inscriptions and non-calligraphic surface ornamentation. The complex designs included geometrical patterns, vegetation motifs, rosettes and abstract arabesque designs. This drawing shows part of the sanctuary interior together with three black basalt carved 'mihrabs' or prayer niches.