The Royal Platform (Badshah-ka Takht) in the Adina Mosque, Pandua (Bengal)
Artist: Francklin, William (1763-1839)
Medium: Ink on paper
Pen-and-ink and wash drawing of the Royal Platform (Badshah-ka Takht) in the Adina Mosque at Pandua in West Bengal by William Francklin (1763-1839) between 1810 and 1811. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'View of the Tukht Gah - or Elevated stone Platform at the Adeena Mosque at Purrooah, on which the King Secunder Shah and his Nobility performed their Devotions apart from the Multitude below. Drawn on the spot A.D. 1810-11. W.F'.; on back in ink is inscribed: 'Francklin's Drawings & Inscriptions of the Ruins of Gour. 7 Sheets Purruah. 2'; and in pencil: '2.'
The Sultans of Bengal built several mosques in their capitals at Pandua and Gaur in the 14th and 15th centuries. The largest of these was the Adina Mosque of Pandua which was built in 1375 by Sultan Sikander Shah, the second sultan of the Ilyas dynasty. The impressive mosque was intended to reflect the power and wealth of the sultan and at the time was the largest on the subcontinent, displaying very fine decorative carvings and calligraphic inscriptions and incorporating earlier Hindu and Buddhist masonry probably taken from Gaur. The mosque has a large rectangular sanctuary with a high central arched bay flanked by wings roofed with multiple domes to either side. The attached courtyard is enclosed on the further three sides by arcaded walls. The platform in the drawing is located to the northern side of the central bay of the mosque sanctuary.