W. view of Trichinopoly and Srirangam
Artist: Trapaud, Elisha (1750-1828)
Watercolour by Elisha Trapaud dated c.1785 depicting Tiruchchirappalli and Srirangam in Tamil Nadu. Inscribed on front in pencil: 'West view of Trichinopoly. Seringham etc. Capn Trapaud.'
The site of Tiruchchirapalli, has been an important Hindu centre since Chola times due to its topographic position. The area is dominated by a huge granite rock seen in the foreground of this photograph which is highly defensible. North of the town, on Srirangam island in the holy Cauvery river, there are two large temple complexes. The great Vaishnava sanctuary dedicated to Ranganatha was founded during the Chola period and was later enlarged under the patronage of the Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers in the 16th-17th centuries. To the east is the Jambukeshvara, a Shaiva sanctuary built in the 17th century in the Nayaka period. The tall towered gopuras of the temples can be seen in the far background of this drawing.